MTRI is a non-profit co-operative with a mandate to promote sustainable use of natural resources and biodiversity conservation in the Southwest Nova Biosphere Reserve and beyond through research, education, and the operation of a field station.
Sign-up for free membership:
Help support MTRI!
You can donate via Paypal, just enter an amount and click the donate button - thank you.
Job Opportunity: MTRI Administrative Coordinator
Conditions of employment:
The Administrative Coordinator will be based at the Mersey Tobeatic Research Institute in Kempt, Queens County, Nova Scotia. The position will be based on 25-30 hours/week. Applicants must be reliable, self-motivated, have a driver’s license and access to a vehicle, work well as a member of a team, and have strong communication skills.
Duties will include:
- Manning the office and responding to phone calls, emails and written correspondence
- Work closely with all staff as part of the MTRI team
- Overseeing invoicing, payments, and carrying out banking
- Acting as MTRI’s Safety Officer, ensuring updating of safety binder and maintenance of all safety equipment
- Tracking work contracts, payment schedules, and reporting deadlines
- Overseeing facility maintenance and janitorial services, and ordering all supplies as needed.
- Overseeing rental of bunkhouses and camping during the summer fieldwork season
- Carrying out staff and volunteer orientation, and updating staff binders and volunteer data
- Recording and forwarding rare species phone reports to appropriate staff and partner organizations
- Assisting with MTRI’s outreach programs, special events, and fundraising
- Submitting Charity Return and Registry of Joint Stocks on an annual basis
Desired skills, knowledge and experience:
· Prior experience with or interest in non-profit and/or environment/conservation organizations
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Good organizational skills
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and experience of accounting software
· Some natural history knowledge
· Experience in social media and website updates, and poster design
Candidates will be rated based on education, skills, experience, and personal suitability.
For more a more detailed job description and further details, email: All applications should be emailed to this email address.
Our board and staff wish to inform that MTRI is temporarily suspending many activities effective today, following the NS Health Authority directives to contain community spread.
We are guided by a safety priority for our community of staff, guests and collaborators. We will use an adaptive approach for the continuity of core services, moving to a remote work model until April 5.
Our facility is closed to guests until that time, and we will reassess next month.
Please use technology to contact our staff:
Jane Barker: email@example.com
Jeffie McNeil: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chair Leif Helmer: email@example.com
Vice-chair Cindy Staicer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leif Helmer, MTRI Chair
Cindy Staicer, MTRI Vice-chair